History of the Month – March

Michelle Nguyen, Reporter

March 1st: 1872 Yellowstone becomes the world’s 1st national park. 

March 2nd: 1791 Long distance communication speeds up with the unveiling of a semaphore machine in Paris. 

March 3rd: 1921 Toronto’s Dr Banting & Dr Best announce discovery of insulin.

March 4th: Abraham Lincon is inaugurated as the 16th President of the US. 

March 5th: 1946 Winston Churchill’s “Iron Curtain” speech in Fulton, Missouri, popularized the term and drew attention to the division of Europe.

March 6th: 1851 Dion Boucicault’s play “Love in a Maze” premieres in London.

March 7th: 1848 In Hawaii, the Great Mahele (division of lands) was signed.

March 8th: 1817 The New York Stock Exchange is founded.

March 9th: 1933 US Congress is called into special session by President Franklin D Roosevelt, beginning its “100 days”.

March 10th: 1876 First telephone call; Alexander Graham Bell says “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you” to his assistant Thomas Watson.

March 11th: 2020 COVID-19 declared a pandemic by the head of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, with 121,564 cases worldwide and 4,373 deaths.

March 12th: 1832 The ballet La Sylphide first premiered at the Opéra de Paris.

March 13th: 1987 Ice Dance Championship at Cincinnati won by Bestemianova & Bukin (URS).

March 14th: 1592 “Ultimate Pi day”: on this day at 6.53am is the largest correspondence between calendar dates and significant digits of pi, since the introduction of the Julian calendar (3.14159265358).

March 15th: 44 BC Julius Caesar is stabbed to death by Brutus, Cassius and several other Roman senators on the Ides of March in Rome. 

March 16th: 1829 Ohio authorizes high school night classes.

March 17th: 432 Saint Patrick, aged about 16 is captured by Irish pirates from his home in Great Britain and taken as a slave to Ireland.

March 18th: 1900 Japan uses its influence over Korea to deny Russia’s efforts to obtain a naval station at Korean Port of Masampo, leading up to the Russo-Japanese war.

March 19th: 1799 Joseph Haydn’s “Die Schöpfung” premieres in Vienna.

March 20th: 141 6th recorded perihelion passage of Halley’s Comet.

March 21st: 1859 Zoological Society of Philadelphia, 1st in US, incorporated.

March 22nd: 238 Gordian I and his son Gordian II are proclaimed Roman emperor.

March 23rd: 2019 Syrian Democratic Forces announce that the last Islamic State territory has been retaken, raising flags in Baghuz, Syria and ending the five-year Islamic State “caliphate”.

March 24th: 1837 Canada gives its black citizens the right to vote.

March 25th: 1934 1st Augusta National Invitation Tournament (Masters) Golf: Horton Smith wins with 20-foot birdie putt at the 17th hole, 1 stroke ahead of Craig Wood.

March 26th: 1966 Large-scale anti-Vietnam War protests take place in the United States, including in New York, Washington, D.C. and Chicago.

March 27th: 1790 The modern shoelace with an aglet patented was in England by Harvey Kennedy.

March 28th: 1891 1st world weightlifting championship won by Edward Lawrence in London, England.

March 29th: 1799 New York passes a gradual abolition law saying children of enslaved mothers are born free but still owe free service to masters until they are 25 if female and 28 if male.

March 30th: 240 BC 1st recorded perihelion passage of Halley’s Comet.

March 31st: 1967 1st time Jimi Hendrix burns his guitar (and his fingers) at Finsbury Park Astoria theater in London: the guitar sold at auction for nearly $500K, the building is currently a church. 

Cites: (ALL CREDITS TO ON THIS DAY NOTHING IS MADE BY THE WRITER OF THIS ARTICLE)

https://www.onthisday.com/