Movie Review of February: Encanto

Movie Review of February: Encanto

Katelin Vonfeldt, Reporter

Are you looking for a feel good family-friendly movie packed with adventure? Then this may be a movie for you! Encanto is a Columbian magical realist tale of a family that received special powers after surviving a tragedy. Now, a few generations later, they live together in a magical house and each member develops their own talent, like the ability to control the weather, shapeshift into other people, and talk to animals. Every member of the family received power except a girl named Mirabel. Mirabel notices the family’s house is starting to show cracks, but no one believes her and downplays her worries as something her estranged eccentric uncle Bruno would say. It’s up to Mirabel to find out what’s happening to save both her family and her home. Will she save the day or will she crumble with the rest of her family? In my personal opinion I thought the movie was pretty good and I would rate it a 7/10. The only thing about it is that it has a lot of singing but they are pretty good songs. So if you like more musical animations than I greatly suggest this movie. Mya Haux siad “ Encanto was beautifully animated and the designs were culturally accurate which is pretty amazing for a Disney movie. The songs themselves were not only catchy and lyrically intricate, they were also reflective of the pressure and family standards forced upon members of a Hispanic or Columbian household. The plot itself was about generational trauma, an issue faced by many Hispanic families. The only thing that I disliked about the movie was its unsatisfying ending”. Mya said in general she would rate the movie a 8 or 9 out of 10. Kasidy Bracket also stated “I really enjoyed Encanto because it was filled with a lot of relatable and exciting topics and scenes. The movie was crafted very well, and I absolutely loved all the songs, and I would score it a solid 8 on a 1-10 scale. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good family movie”. Nat Y also said “Encanto is the best movie ever made by the Walt Disney Company. 20 out of 10 marks. Lin Manuel-Miranda and Germaine Franco along with all the voice actors are amazing”. An anonymous student said “I liked the movie Encanto, it had a lot of singing. But they were good songs. I watched it with my younger brother who is 6, and he loved it. It is a good movie for little kids and middle schoolers. I would rate it a 9, I liked the plot and the characters”. Ivy Depaemelaere has also said “ The movie Encanto was quite overrated” and she would rate it a 5.5/10.

Cites:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/encanto-movie-review-2021